Saturday, August 16, 2014

Always Growing

Hi!
And happy Saturday! I am enjoying afternoon tea. Thanks to all the international volunteers who come from counties colonized by Britain and have influenced my afternoons this way. It’s 4:45p, which is just about the time that we enjoy a couple hours of down time. Usually I take this time to workout/circ-out, but today my tum is bothering me, so I’ll just write to all of you!
Yesterday was my last day actively volunteering in the hospital. It was definitely bitter-sweet. We observed a little boy have his elbow joint reconstructed due to a deformity in the humorus resulting from osteomyelitis.
*Quick sidenote: there is a wedding van passing our apartments in the streets. How do I know, you ask? Here in Tanzania the car carrying the newlyweds, decorated with pink bows and ribbons, leads a line of cars going away from the church to the reception. The car also includes a band of trumpets, making the new marriage known to all those in the town. I remember when I first arrived in Tanzania I saw this event for the first time on the way home from the airport and shouted, “oh look, someone got a new car!” This is when everyone in the car laughed and explained the above tradition.*
Okay, where was I? Oh yeah. So this little boy had a portion of his humorus cut and removed and two pins screwed in with a drill you’d see in your father's garage at home. They slapped on a cast and he was good to go.
OH MY GOSH. How could I forget? I saw a leg amputation on Thursday y’all. Mind you Wednesday night was karaoke night at Empire Sports Bar. This is a sports bar that hands you an entire 1/5 of Konyagi when you ask for a Konyagi and Sprite.
This fact alone should give you an idea of how our stomachs were feeling the morning after. HOWEVER, nothing has ever stopped us from going into the hospital. We arrived promptly at 9 a.m. excited to see what was on the roster for surgery (below).
 P.s. Look @ the second procedure on the list… 
We began the morning with a seven year old girl diagnosed with recurrent patellar dislocations. The surgeon used a portion of a hamstring tendon to keep the patella from dislocating laterally (he thread the tendon through a hole he had drilled through in the patella). He then slapped on some plaster and we walked in O.R. 2.
We weren’t entirely sure what this case was, so we checked the list. I ran my finger down the roster… and there it was, “above the knee amputation.” I am not sure I will ever again see someone lose a leg, but, WOW, was it interesting to see the surgeon cut STRAIGHT through arteries, veins, nerves, tendons and muscles in about 120 seconds.
Next?
Saw the bone. Six minutes later… It was gone. The whole leg was carried away, and put into a red bag for disposal. The time consuming part was the following steps of suturing each vessel… femoral artery and vein, great and small saphenous vein, deep femoral artery among a few others. I sat front row for this. I was nearly 4 feet from the mans bloody nub. I couldn’t believe it! Not once did I feel overwhelmed or lightheaded. Even the fact that the patient was awake didn’t terrorize me. 
Leaving surgery that Thursday I felt on top of the world. I realized I had overcome ANY fear I once had with blood.
As I sit here and think about it I realize I have become so strong on this venture. I have seen things I never thought I could handle. Emotional battles of babies who have lost their mothers, young children suffering heart failure, and the most recent event of a middle aged diabetic who lost his leg to a gangrene infection.



It may be true that body stops growing, physically, by the end of puberty, but emotionally, we never stop growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment