Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Healthy kids and sick kids

Good Morning!
I have a cup of coffee at my side and my light blue scrubs on. I am preparing for another day at Mt. Meru Regional Hospital. This week Heather, Ben and I are in pediatrics. But before I go on to explain the wide arrange of complications we have witnessed in kids 6 weeks to 8 years of age, I want to catch you up on my weekend.
As I stated in my previous post, most of the volunteers have left. Because our house is a lot quieter, so was this past weekend. However, Heather and I did take an adventure Saturday night.
During our Eid encounter with our neighbors I mentioned how much I loved the henna tattoos drawn on their 4 and 6 year old children. They were beautiful. Immediately after seeing our faces in awe they offered to take Heather and I for henna one night after he arrived home from work. Heather and I knew we were working in causality Friday night, so we told him we’d love to go Saturday night! He readily assured us he’d make an appointment with a family friend.
After a fun Friday night in causality on full of baby deliveries, a few facial lacerations, a split toe, and a psychotic patient we were excited for a relaxing night of henna. All Saturday morning we worked on various tasks at FiFi’s, which is a popular tourist coffee shop. After one cup of coffee too many, we walked home and completed a roof workout. I was feeling particularly lazy and decided to only kick the soccer ball around on the roof. A powerful kick resulted in the ball flying off the roof and into the street. I ran as fast as possible down eight flights of stairs to retrieve the ball. Upon bringing the ball back into the gated complex, six neighborhood kids surrounded me. I willingly kicked the ball to the kids and we began playing a little keep away.
Apart from the times we got the ball stuck under cars and in gutters, I had a great time playing with the little guys.
A honk at the gate interrupted our game and I was pleased to see it was our neighbor! After his two young girls ran to him screaming “papa!” with joy, he turned to me and told me he was ready to take us into town. I ran upstairs with the soccer ball to grab Heather. We piled in his company truck with his wife, and three children. First stop was to drop mom off with a friend, and papa went to purchase henna ink, all the while Heather and I were left in the car alone with the two kiddos. The time was 7p, which is dusk in Arusha… this is also the time that the town becomes very skeptical. As we sat in the truck with the windows down we were grabbed one another’s hand. We gave each other a look of shear fear. We had never been outside of the apartment alone at night. As we sat frightened, the girls were jumping around us telling us their favorite shows, and favorite foods.
“Spongebob is a girl when he wants, and a boy when he wants.”
As I tried to interact with the children I stuffed my debit card, 12$, and phone in my bra. That way I could easily hand over my bag in the event of a bad situation.
I must’ve nearly broke my neck I turned around so many times to peer out of the back window, hoping to see our neighbors face. A century later (more like 5 minutes) we caught sight of him, and we were instantly put at ease. He jumped in the car, and we drove to a new location not far from the parking lot we were just in. It was now pitch black outside. Our neighbor mentioned that he was going to go shopping at a near by grocery store while we got our henna. We began to bombard him with questions: “when will you be back?” “Is it safe?” “Where exactly will you be?” He assured us it wouldn’t take him long, and that the woman doing our henna was a family friend that he and his family had known very well. We stiffly walked into the building and up to the 5th floor. We entered an apartment and were greeted by a family from India. I immediately picked up on this once I noticed the Bindi and Sorry worn the mother of the household.
The younger daughter greeting us and then preceded to get us chairs to sit on while she did our tattoos (the only furniture in the house were four plastic chairs, surely meant for outdoor use). The artwork she gently, and meticulously drew on my arm was breath taking. Each design draw was different but the designs together spread down my arm with great harmony.
The paint was thick. Because of the language barrier, once she completed the tattoo Heather and I were unsure how to make sure we treated the henna with the proper aftercare. We were told different things by three others and finally decided to use our American instincts and Google search.  Papa arrived back just in time for us to be on our way (the tattoos only took 90 minutes!). We left the home, thanked our artist, picked up mom and traveled back to our apartments as a group. I felt so welcome in their family. Although there was a small language barrier, and apart from different skin color I felt like we were family.
Heather and I have been enjoying our Henna… taking artsy photos of our arms where ever we go.
As for Mt. Meru, we have had an AMAZING week in pediatrics. Being in a foreign country, we are used to the language barriers. Most of the time the language barrier hinders our learning and our ability to understand diseases, but this week we have been blessed. We have been completing rounds in peds with a doctor and three medical students from Oregon Health and Science University, two English speaking doctors from Mount Meru, and many English speaking medical students. Because of the large number of English speaking doctors and students we are able to better understand conditions and talk through the pathophysiology of the diseases seen in the ward.
The diseases seen at Mount Meru are diseases not seen commonly in the western part of the world, as one might assume.
Some examples of the diseases we have seen this week in peds are: Viral Meningitis, Patent Ductus Arteriosus, extrapulmonary tuberculosis (TB), rheumatic heart disease, interception of the bowls, brucellosis, suspected anthrax, suspected Friedreich’s ataxia (congenital genetic disorder found on the 9th chromosome), suspected diabetes insipidus, suspected pituitary tumor,
It’s been a gift to expand my knowledge in the field of medicine by seeing so many rare conditions.

As you guys know, I have been raising money for the hospital. Each day I witness a new obstacle that could be solved by a simple resource. Please help my fellow volunteers and me by donating even a small amount.  Five dollars can help someone stuck in causality suffering immense pain because we ran out of Diclofenac or Tramadol. If you can’t donate please send a prayer over to Mount Meru and twins like these two below will thank you, among many other patients! Xo

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/fpqrb/ab/a3poZ3


No comments:

Post a Comment