Sunday, July 20, 2014

As fun as bubble gum!

REPORTING TO YOU LIVE FROM AFRICA
I woke up this weekend with a cold. It all started Saturday, a little (kidigo) congestion and noticeable post-nasal drip.
Regardless, I had a great weekend, hence the title of this post. Friday we all decided we needed a day to relax by a pool and catch some rays. The Norwegian girls in the Elective Africa program did some Google-ing and found the most beautiful hotel I have seen since my arrival in Tanzania (we have been in and around a few). 
When the taxi driver arrived, he pulled to the gate and waited until the security guards screened the car. Before any of us could enter the hotel we were waved down with metal detectors. I should add that the car check consisted of a man with a mirror at the end of a pole making a lap around the car, checking for explosives on the underbelly of our taxi. Also, while I was being waved down with the detector, the wand beeped at least five times and the guards didn’t flinch and just moved on to the next search victim.
The hotel housed four restaurants, most with indoor and outdoor seating, a salon, a massage studio, a gym and pool. We came for the pool. During my time there I completely forgot I was in Arusha. 
We were surrounded by tons of beautiful vegetation, and the greenest fresh cut grass. The lawns that encased the pool area were tidy and neat; one could certainly have a wedding reception there. We played Frisbee, got sun, and I tried to forget about my cold.
Today, Sunday, the roomies and I decided take a canoe safari to Lake Duluti. 
The lake couldn’t have been half of Lake Townsand, but what it didn’t make up for in size it made up for in depth. Lake Duluti is 700m deep. Can you believe it?! According to Tanzania: Culture Smart, Tanzania is home to the deepest lakes in Africa. We saw many Cameroon's, a couple King Fisher's, and five giant lizard things… We lapped the lake once, and finished the adventure with glass bottled Fantas. 
Also… my cold is gone (basically). I swear by Zn+ ya’ll: Taken at the first sight of a cold!!!

1 comment: