Thursday, July 24, 2014

Loving and Learning

“Nafurahi kukuona” is my phase of the week. I have been slacking on new lingo outside of the hospital. HOWEVER, I have been using the following words in the hospital: pain, where, good job, so sorry, why did you come to the hospital, blood, yes (in response to being called), head, and stomach.
But, my phase this week comes from an encounter I had with an Army man from the Congo. I met him in radiology as he assisted a patient there. I was waiting with Heather, Sophie, and the Elective Africa's assistant coordinator, Phabian, when he approached us. I spoke the little Swahili I knew and introduced myself, and the others did the same. He explained his background in choppy English and we had Phabian translate what we couldn’t communicate in Swahili about our background. We all ran into the problem of not being able to say, “nice to meet you.” He taught us how to say it, and we had a good laugh as we struggled to pronouce it correctly.
He was really good looking… I should add.
After speaking to the head doctor of the radiology department and as we were leaving the ward I ran into the Army man, Nukuna, once more. He grabbed my hand, and as I said bye (kwaheri), he said “I love you.” I asked him to repeat it and he repeated the three words often heard after 7 months of dating not within 7 minutes of meeting. We had a laugh.
Watch out mom, I may come home a married woman.
I want to quickly mention today’s events at Mt. Meru Regional Hospital. We again went on rounds with Dr. Farrah. He encourages us to complete the rounds independently as a team. We are even encouraged to make an educated guess on the diagnosis based on patient history, current symptoms and a physical examination. Today we had five volunteers from Elective Africa, and one from Work the World. We saw everything from chronic renal failure, to gangrene. We ended the shift with a plural tap/pluralcentesis…. AND I ASSISTED. Only with the lung-fluid draining process but I assisted none the less!
Check out that photo bomb ;) 

Tonight is a big night for us in the program. It is one of the last nights we will all be together as 12 (including Phabian). After a great week at the hospital, we are all eager to have a few drinks and relax. I’m lucky to be here in Arusha with such an fun group of people. XO

No comments:

Post a Comment