Friday, July 18, 2014

Strange

Yesterday was an adventure.
The morning went as it usually does, after my run we all went into the hospital. Heather, Sophie and I felt like the leaders of the lab. I was in charge of organizing the different blood samples into their testing groups (chemistry, hematology, and serology).  I also charted the blood samples, promising Heather and Sophie I would have my first draw SOON. They have been drawing blood like pros!
In the afternoon most of the volunteers of Elective Africa decided to head to an area known as the Njiro Complex that caters to foreigners. The shops provide free wi-fi, a frozen yogurt shop, a cinema and much more.
We decided to take a taxi, and after bargaining for the right price we hopped in. We arrived at the shops with excitement as it felt like a piece of home. The shops were similar to an outdoor mall, u-shaped, with a restaurant in the middle. We all spilt into small groups checking out the two-story mall. We were thrilled to see a big supermarket that housed things we’d see in our home countries.
As we were picking out different wines for the nights festivities, I reached for my wallet and realized it was missing from my purse. I knew I had brought it with me because I had paid the taxi driver on the way there. Moreover, I was pretty sure it never left my purse. I hurriedly called the taxi driver, thankfully we had gotten his number during our ride to the complex, and asked that he return so that I could check his cab for my wallet.
The tears started falling. I was nervous my wallet was in someone else’s hands.  After what felt like an eternity, Rama returned in his cab and without my lost wallet. He promised no one else had ridden since he dropped us off. I was a pathetic puppy dog with tears running down my face. At that point we decided it was time to return home. We got in Rama’s taxi and left. All the others were extremely apologetic and promised me we’d figure it all out one way or another. Even Rama, who knew little English, kept repeating, “This is terrible, just terrible.” I pulled out a worry doll form my purse and held it for the entire ride home.
Once we arrived I made many failed attempts to solve the problem. I needed to cancel my Visa, and transfer funds. My Tanzanian shillings were gone and there was nothing I could do about that, and everything else could be replaced. The problem was I couldn’t call my bank. Of all eleven people here no one had a phone that would dial out to the U.S. I tried Google Voice, and was on the way to use Skype to dial out when I heard voices in the living room.
“Where was it?," "Where did you find it?” followed by Adam saying, “Grace, someone is here to see you and they have something that will make you very happy.”
I ran from my room to see Rama and my missing Visa (which was about the only thing of real value in the wallet). I ran to hug him.
Later I realized that the entire situation was unbelievable sketchy, or dodgy as Sophie would say in her Australian slang. Either way, I was more than pleased, and
decided to use this incident as a reminder that you can NEVER be too safe.
Tanzania isn’t like North Carolina in many ways. But, sometimes I am able to see 
similarities; my experience at ViaVia nightclub was one of those times.
It was a Thursday night, and after a round of Kings Cup/Circle of Death/Whatever You Called It In College, we decided to head to Arusha’s most popular danceclub, ViaVia. We arrived, paid cover, took a free entry drink (made from watermelon juice), and walked it.
I was immediately taken aback by this place. It looked like three bars that had been randomly spread out on a hill. This bar was entirely outdoors. It reminded me of Greenstreet. For those of you not from North Carolina, Greenstreet is a three story nightclub in downtown Greensboro. The set up at ViaVia reminded me of Greenstreet because there were two dance floors; one for the dancer floors meant for minglers, and the other one (downstairs/bottom of the grassy hill) meant for ragers.
One difference… ViaVia’s downstairs dance floor opened up with acrobats instead of headliners from a band.



It was a good ending to a weird day.

1 comment:

  1. I read your posts every day. What a lot of memories. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete